On behalf of Tonbridge and Malling Liberal Democrats, I will be putting a motion to Council to prepare a tree planting strategy on 18 February 2020.
The motion reads:
This council notes:
- the motion declaring a climate emergency which was passed on 9th July 2019;
- that the biggest single contributor to climate change is the emission of carbon from fossil fuels;
- that trees have the ability to soak up carbon emissions and therefore tree planting can offset some of the carbon dioxide which is contributing to climate change.
This council therefore calls on the Chief Executive to prepare a tree planting strategy which:
- aims to increase considerably the tree cover within the borough by identifying council owned land that could be used for tree planting;
- sets out to create community orchards to help improve the supply of fresh, local produce and boost the health of residents;
- works with the voluntary sector and local parish councils to deliver tree planting plans;
- involves schools, colleges and Kent university and their pupils and students in carrying out tree planting and woodland maintenance.
- identifies sources of funding available to the council, parishes and voluntary organisations to pay for tree planting.
The meeting will start at 7.30 in the Council's offices in Kings Hill.
Photo by Noah Buscher on Unsplash